Monday 7 October 2013

Apple, Pear and Maple Crumble

Producing a fruit crumble is nothing to boast about, but I just wanted to keep a note of the flavour combination, as it worked so well. 

I  briefly sizzled the chopped fruit, a mixture of three apples and three small conference pears (still very hard), in 30g of butter. When the fruit showed signs of softening I added a heaped tablespoon of cornflour and 3 tablespoons of maple syrup. I left the fruit to cool while I made the crumble.

I reduced the sugar in the crumble, and added two tablespoons of maple syrup after rubbing in the butter; this made the crumble a little lumpy, but that's a good thing - several recipes I've seen lately advocate adding a little liquid to improve the texture! The crumble recipe was 100g plain flour, 70g light muscovado sugar, 100g rolled oats, 100g butter, 50g chopped walnuts, 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Sprinkle the crumble over the fruit and bake for about 40 minutes at 180C, until golden and the fruit juices are bubbling.

I was aiming for a maple toffee flavour to the crumble and think it worked quite well. Using pecan nuts would have been better than walnuts, but I didn't have any.

4 comments:

Snowy said...

A great idea to add maple syrup to the fruit. Also love the crumble mixture you've used - oats give it a great texture. Will certainly try this.

Alicia Foodycat said...

That sounds lovely! I think I have enough apples and pears on the trees to make it, too.

Anonymous said...

Love the addition of maple syrup in a crumble! How nice that all of you in the Northern Hem have apples and pears to play with now - it sounds like a great season - we're still six months off ours being ready down under!

Suelle said...

I do like Autumn cooking, Celia, but as you know, I'm envious of your all-year-round productive garden.