Friday 19 October 2012

Jammy Oat Slice

I love layered traybakes, but don't often have the time to fiddle around with two or three different mixtures for a base, filling and topping. This is where oat slices come in handy, as the same mixture is often used for the base and topping, and the filling, as here, can be something as simple as a fruity jam. If you have more time, and the right ingredients available, you can cook fresh or dried fruit to a thick purée, flavouring it with spices or citrus zest. Mincemeat (the Christmas kind, not minced meat!) also makes a good filling. I couldn't remember which recipe I usually use, as it's been a while since I made it, so picked this one from an online search.

It's also around this time of year that I start thinking of clearing out cupboard, fridge and freezer space in preparation for Christmas. I don't do anything about Christmas this early in the year, but I do like to have space ready when I need it. So for this slice, which needed 250g jam, I mixed the ends of three jars - apricot and strawberry jam, and orange marmalade - and added from a jar of Cherries and Berries to make up the weight. This cleared out the preserve and condiment shelf in the fridge of quite a lot.

The only change I made to the recipe was to add a tablespoon (about 20g) of chopped toasted hazelnuts to the oat mixture reserved for the topping. However, there was the usual problem of there not really being enough mixture to make a slice of enough depth and solidity - if I make this again, I will definitely increase the  oat mixture by at least 25%.

There's not much to say about this from a consumer point of view - it's a quick bake which is made chewy from the oats and tastes of whatever you use as the filling. My odd mix of jams tasted pretty good!

9 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/7994010/Afternoon-tea-recipes-Jammy-oaty-biscuits.html this is the version I've made before. I think yours looks gooier and gooey is good!

celia said...

I'm always on the look out for ways to use up old jam! Thanks Suelle! :)

Unknown said...

Great idea with the jam. I think I've become a flapjack fiend since baking them this week so any quick and easy recipe works for me. They look gorgeous!

Katie said...

Looks good. Fruit and hazelnuts are a yummy combo. I should bake more traybakes

Chele said...

I love recipes that can happily muddle together whatever is left in the cupboard or fridge. Looks a great bake ;0)

Snowy said...

A great way to use up odds and ends of jam, Suelle. Looks great. Love baking with oats.

Caroline said...

They look great - I think I've made something similar in the past and you've reminded me to try and revisit it. I love being able to use up odds and ends of jars - very satisfying.

Choclette said...

Oh lovely idea Suelle. I'd never think of adding jam to something like this. I have a whole heap of jams that need using up so I might well make some of these.

Anne said...

Great use for the odd's and ends that gather in all our fridges! Always love oaty recipes so will be adding to the make list - with your pan adjustments!