Sunday 3 July 2011

Caramel Hazelnut Layer Cake

I found a forgotten jar of Dulce de Leche at the back of the refrigerator last week. After a few days, I decided that the only way to stop me eating banana and caramel sandwiches for breakfast was to put the caramel into a cake. This Dan Lepard recipe has been on my mind a while, but it's not really the sort of cake CT should be eating. I decided though, that it would only last a couple of days with four of us eating it, so a little treat wouldn't hurt him too much. I didn't have enough caramel for the frosting, so decided to make a small amount of Nutella buttercream, just to fill the cake.


I made this cake when Dan first published it in the Guardian, before I started writing this blog, and really liked it - I think the only thing that's prevented me making it since is that light sponge layer cakes with filling and topping aren't really my thing. They don't last long, as people eat larger pieces, and I find it a bit too much of a fuss to wait until the cake has cooled before filling and assembling it. Once in a while, they fit the bill though, and a light cake on a hot weekend seemed just right.


The cake is hardly more difficult to make than a plain Victoria Sandwich, and the amount of batter rises to completely fills two sandwich tins when cooked, to give a good deep cake after assembly. The nut flavour is well pronounced, unlike many cakes using ground nuts.

The original caramel filling and frosting is gorgeous, but the cake was very good filled with Nutella buttercream too! I beat 60g softened butter with 120g icing sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in about 100g Nutella. After filling the cake, I dusted the top lightly with icing sugar.

10 comments:

Caroline said...

It looks lovely. I know what you mean about the bother of having to wait for a layer cake and assemble it, but occasionally they're lovely. It looks like you've got another winner from Dan there.

P.S. Banana and caramel sandwiches for breakfast sound amazing. Must try that!

Choclette said...

Suelle, you make me laugh - nothing like a good healthy start to the day ;-) Your cake looks really good, I like the toffee colouring. Another one to add to my list!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Mmmm banana & caramel sandwiches! I really have to get a pair of sandwich tins.

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

Banana and caramel sandwiches for breakfast? Now that is my kind of breakfast (heck, I had a leftover, slightly charred marshmallow from last night's BBQ for brekkie this morning!). This cake looks great- a real crowd-pleaser I'm sure

celia said...

You are very restrained Suelle, to add a healthy banana to the mix. I tend to eat DDL out of the jar with a spoon.. :)

Cake looks fabulous!

Chele said...

Now that is my idea of one perfect looking cake. Yum! Genius idea to add banana to th DDL ... which, by the way, is one of my indulgences in life. I found a recipe the other day that details how to make it from scratch, may need to give it a shot and then make this cake ;0)

Snowy said...

It looks delicious, Suelle. Love DDL. Another great recipe from Dan to try. Like the idea of Nutella as the filling.

Maggie said...

Dan Lepard recipes are always great and your cake looks delicious.

The Caked Crusader said...

Looks gorgeous- the sponge looks so light and soft

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes said...

Oh I love this cake too and I love the thought of your breakfast sarnies too. I think this is one of the few cakes I have made more than once, nutella filling would match the make up of the cake beautifully, I might have to put a jar on the shoppng list :)