Monday 14 December 2009

Chocolate Guinness Cake

I didn't have all the ingredients to make Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Guinness Cake, which seems to get consistently good reviews, so I decided to tackle Delia Smith's recipe instead.

You'll see, when you compare my photo with the one shown with the recipe, what was wrong with the cake - it didn't rise well and the quantities given for the frosting and filling were very sparse. It was also a crumbly but sticky cake (how is that possible?), so it was difficult to turn out of the sandwich tins. I added the chopped walnuts to the filling, but decided not to use them on top.


The texture was moist and dense, and the flavour was fine, although nothing special, and the frosting was not as richly chocolatey as I'd expected, considering the high proportion of chocolate added. Sometimes I think that cocoa gives a better flavour in frostings.

I'm not sure I'd bother to make this again, but if I did, I think I'd try making it in 7" sandwich tins to give a deeper cake and the illusion of more filling and frosting.

2 comments:

Choclette said...

Sorry this didn't turn out to be as good as you were hoping. I haven't tried Nigella's version either, but I did bake the stout cake from Green and Black's and that turned our really well.

Suelle said...

Thanks for that advice, Choclette. I looked at the Green and Black's recipe but only had 250ml Guinness - the rest went into a beef casserole! I'll try it next time.