Thursday 14 May 2015

Cauliflower Cake (Yotam Ottolenghi's recipe)

I noticed that there is a bloggers' celebration of cauliflower taking place, co-hosted by Karen at Lavender and Lovage and Choclette at Tin and Thyme.

I love cauliflower as it's extremely versatile and always tasty, however it's cooked. One of my favourite ways to eat it is gently fried with whole spice seeds, such as nigella, black mustard and cumin, and a few flakes of dried chilli. It then makes a delicious accompaniment, alongside rice or bread, to a curry.

Then there's cauliflower cheese, to which I often add pasta, to make a cross between cauliflower and macaroni cheese. And along with numerous others, I'm a fan of cauliflower 'rice' to reduce carbohydrate intake, although I do prefer to mix it with some Basmati rice, so that it will still absorb sauces.

The Cool Cauliflower Recipe Collection: Linky Party and Blog HopHowever, the recipe I want to add to this collection of cauliflower recipes is Yotam Ottolenghi's recipe for Cauliflower Cake. This is a delicious, well flavoured cake which is like a frittata. The addition of flour makes it lighter, yet sturdier, than a traditional frittata. The cake is flavoured with cheese, rosemary, onion, basil and sesame and kalonji seeds and can be eaten both hot and cold, which makes it ideal for picnics and parties.

I made and wrote about it back in September 2014, but rather than edit that post for the cauliflower link-up party, I thought it better to write a new post.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this recipe, that cake looks amazing. I too have a caulicrush at the moment, so this is a wonderful addition!

Choclette said...

Oh this sounds so delicious Suelle, I have bookmarked it and must try it soon. I've just made cauliflower rice for the first time and although sceptical I was quite impressed. I was also impressed at how well it did actually soak up the sauce - I wasn't expecting that. Thanks for creating a new post and sharing this for #CoolCauliflowerRecipes.