Sunday 22 September 2013

Oatmeal Brownie Bars with Cherries

 I've been back from a wonderful holiday in western Canada for a while, but haven't had time for any baking until now. We were plunged straight into helping FB with the move into her first home - trips to IKEA and DIY shops, assembling furniture etc. There's still lots to do before she has to leave here at the end of the month, but I did want to take part in some of my regular baking challenges, so made time for a baking session.

These oatmeal brownie bars were a great success the first time I tried them, but didn't turn out quite as well this time. Despite extra time in the oven the brownie layer didn't set fully; this didn't affect the flavour, but made them very difficult to eat! This time I added 100g of chopped dried cherries to the topping portion of the oatmeal mix - this added a delicious sour and fruity note to the bars.

I am entering these into the Tea Time Treats challenge for September. This month the challenge for 'flapjacks, oats and tray bakes' has been set by Karen, at Lavender and Lovage, who alternates hosting duties with Kate at What Kate Baked.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Look delicious! If they are a bit soft all the better for eating them with ice cream and a spoon!

Alicia Foodycat said...

These look just my sort of thing.

Sunshine - www.cancersurvivor26.blogger.com said...

looks yummy!

Snowy said...

I love flapjacks of any kind - these look good.

Karen S Booth said...

You cannot beat a good flapjack and these look FABULOUS! Karen